Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Make New Friends….

But keep the old…one is silver and the other gold.  Hmmm, silver and gold.  Can you eat that?  If not, well, maybe we can rename the song, “make new friends but keep the old, one is prime rib and the other liver…” oh, that doesn’t rhyme.  Sorry. 

Mom sang that song to me the other day (along with everything else she sings about!) but it really hit home.  You know, besides getting fed and being loved (neither one I get nearly enough of *whine*), I think I’m the luckiest dog alive because I have so many friends.  Never in my life did I ever think so many people would care about me and want to meet me.  And oh how I love meeting them!  Let me tell you, everyone else in the house, including Mom and Dad, is pretty jealous. 

But it’s true.  I found a quote on the innerwebs the other day and it says, “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together”.  I think a former president said that, but I’m not sure.  But think about it.  What would our lives be like without friends?  Even our moms and dads need to be friends. 

Us dogs like the concept of friends.  We are in a pack aren’t we?  And when we get kicked out of a pack, or in the case of being left at home alone, abandoned from the pack, we become very sad and very lonely.  And sometimes, very upset.  No, man and dog cannot live well in isolation.  It’s the give and take of friendship that makes life so good.

And making new friends, like adding members to the pack, is really good.  It’s so fun to meet other people and other dogs, tell stories, share concerns, (I ain’t sharin’ food though), enjoy each other’s company, and know that they’ll be there if you really need them.  And it’s no different than our pack.  If I want to be alone, pack members recognize that. They keep their distance but occasionally check in.   However, if I want company, the whole pack is ready to run and play. 

There is something really cool about that song.  Listen again….”one is silver and the other gold”.  Having lots of silver and gold may make you rich, but in the case of this song, richness has nothing to do with money.  It has everything to do with having friends and being loved and having people care for you.  A wealthy man without a friend is the poorest man on earth.  The richest people are those that have lots of friends and lots of love.  Boy, I must be a gazillionaire then, huh?  That’s one of the reasons us dogs are so special.  We like making friends and we love being friends.  And we’re pretty good at it. 

Have you thought of your friends today?  How special they are to you?  One of mom’s friends has a Facebook thing going on where he lists one friend a day and posts why they are so special to him.  That’s really neat.  However, being a friend doesn’t mean expecting thanks in return.  (Well unless you’re one of our cats and then you BETTER thank her for being nice or she’ll rip your face off!).  No, being a friend means knowing you’re appreciated and not having to hear it. Being a friend means telling the other person how much you care without ever expecting it in return.  Being a friend means being there in person or in spirit.  I love being a friend to you.  I am a better dog, however, for all the friendship I have received from you!

Today I want to thank my friends.  I WANT you to know how much you mean to me.  I want you all to know that I know you care and it makes me so very happy.  I haven’t met all of my friends, yet, but I want to.  And when I do, you’ll know right then how much I like you. 

Thanks for reading my blog today.  I hope you were Bearmused today!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being our friend, Bear! You're a wise fellow, and you hit your paw right on the nail. Friends are worth their weight in gold - wait, they're worth even more. Gold won't warm you, but friends will. You can't eat gold, but friends will feed you - your body, your soul, your heart, your spirit. I have lived in this country for almost 22 years now, and still - when I fly home (the other home in Germany), it is like I've never been gone - the connection to the "old" friends is unchanged.
    New friends are wonderful, they keep enriching our lives.
    Old friends are like a security blanket. They hold up a mirror, but they still love you and won't judge. They give us a chance to look at ourselves and see our own weaknesses, but we know with them, we're safe.
    And new friends, they're a bit like a new love. Exciting and new and interesting - while we know that they, too, over time, will become safety blankets for us, as we will for them. They strengthen us, they let us grow to better beings.
    Kisses on your nose, Pooh!

    ReplyDelete